MALFUNCTION…Trevor Taylor stands beneath his split-system air-conditioner which no longer works after a power surge in Solomontown on July 18. Other homes and businesses were affected by the surge and blackout.
EQUIPMENT worth thousands of dollars has been disrupted along Alpha Terrace as a result of a power surge and blackout in Solomontown two weeks ago.
Resident Trevor Taylor was among those who lost electrical devices.
During the cold day after the incident, Mr Taylor tried to turn on his big split-system air-conditioner only to find that one of the integral internal components had been burnt in the surge. Mr Taylor has since had his air-conditioner checked and found that the “mother board” may be able to be swapped, but it will cost him $800.
A spokesman for SA Power Networks said that 1000 homes had been without power for 90 minutes with some also affected by loss of equipment.
He said that after a truck hit a transformer, a high-voltage line affected a low-voltage line which caused the damage.
The surge also took its toll on devices such as rangehoods, microwave ovens, televisions and DVD players along the street.
Mr Taylor said both his street and area had experienced many blackouts, but had never lost anything of value.
He said they hoped to gain financial support for these devices through insurance or under warranty, but, if not, they might consider launching legal action against a transport company involved in the collision with the transformer.
Alpha Terrace resident Joy Parr said her and her husband Doug had lost a DVD recorder. Mrs Parr said her brother, who also lives in the street, lost two air-conditioners and insurance would not cover the loss.
Mr Taylor summed up the situation simply: “It is just inconvenient”.
Businesses in the area have also been hit by damage to air-conditioners and machinery.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.