THE Nurom/Whim Historical Group has been slowly working towards marking sites of historical value.
With much-appreciated support from Port Pirie Nyrstar smelter, the group has been able to put up five new signs, mostly on the old Crystal Brook run dating back to 1847 when it was first put out for lease as a pastoral grazing station.
Members have posted two former shepherd’s hut sites, the one on Frith Road with a well, the site of the Wandearah Head Station on Lower Broughton Road just over the Butlers Bridge on the River Broughton, and one marking the Three Chain Stock Route from Port Pirie to Redhill along Whim Road.
The last is a government well on the corner of Spencer Highway and Nurom Road that drew water for droving stock and to water wagon teams to and fro from Wandearah to Port Pirie.
On August 17, the group will host the Annual District Picnic at Whim Farm on Whim Road
followed by a bus tour of the district to see the signs, new and old.
HISTORY…Peter Frith, left, historical group pres-ident Laurence Stanley, Ian Seidel and Gordon Baker put up one of five new signs in the district, this one being Wandearah Head Station on Lower Broughton Road, just over Butlers Bridge.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.