Crunch time nears for Swans’ out-of-contract Rhyce Shaw

16/08/2019 // by admin

Rhyce Shaw says he will wait until the end of Sydney’s premiership campaign before deciding whether he will play on next year.
Nanjing Night Net

The running defender is due to come out of contract at the end of the season and will be guided by his physical wellbeing and the club’s wishes before making a call on whether to play on.

His numbers this season suggest Shaw still has plenty to offer the Swans. After missing much of last year with injury, he has played 14 of the Swans’ 18 games, averaging 22 possessions and providing plenty of run from the Swans’ defence.

Should he retire, it would leave a big hole in the Swans side, particularly if fellow playmaker Nick Malceski, whose contract also expires this year, leaves the club.

“The last couple of years, obviously being injured, all I’ve wanted to do is just play footy and take every week as it comes,” Shaw, 32, said.

“I know it’s a cliche, but getting to my age you just want to make sure every game counts and that’s what I’m trying to do at the moment.

“I got back in last week and hopefully will take another step forward this week and just look forward to the end of the year.”

Asked what were the factors determining his future, Shaw said: “Probably the body, one, and secondly what the club want to do.

“It’s pretty much up in the air at the moment. I can’t say too much at the moment because I haven’t really thought about it.”

Another factor may also be the lure of more success with the Swans, who are this year’s premiership favourites and tipped to feature prominently next year as well.

Other first-choice Swans yet to re-sign for next year include Mike Pyke and Adam Goodes while veterans Lewis Roberts-Thomson and Ryan O’Keefe also come out of contract.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Manly stars Anthony Watmough and Steve Matai recover in time for Souths clash

16/08/2019 // by admin

Raring to go: Steve Matai. Photo: Brendan EspositoManly duo Steve Matai and Anthony Watmough have been cleared to play for the Sea Eagles, while South Sydney are sweating on the fitness of Sam Burgess to allow their big man to return from a shoulder injury.
Nanjing Night Net

Matai (concussion) and Watmough (knee) did not complete their last-start win against Brisbane, and Watmough feared an extended stint on the sidelines. However, Manly coach Geoff Toovey said both would be right to play South Sydney on Friday night after completing the team’s final training session on Thursday.

Winger Jorge Taufua continues to battle an ankle injury and remains in doubt despite being named to play. If Taufua fails to recover, Cheyse Blair would again come onto the wing for his third successive appearance.

Toovey remained hopeful Glenn Stewart would play again for Manly as he battles a long-term ankle injury. ‘‘He’s a few weeks away,” he said. “He had a setback a few weeks back, but other than that he’s travelling fine and we’re hopeful he’ll be back before semi-finals,’’

Captain Jamie Lyon said Stewart was desperate to return to the field.

“I hope he can get back out there,” Lyon said. “He’s done some great things for the club and I would love to do it with him again. It’s an injury that’s hard to get on top of. He might have tried to come back a bit too hard too early.”

While Manly are expected to be boosted by their representative players, South Sydney are expected to battle on without Burgess. He remains an outside chance to make his return from a shoulder injury but is no certainty having missed South Sydney’s last-start win against Newcastle on Sunday.

Either brother Luke or Joe Picker would replace Burgess in the squad.

Meanwhile, South Sydney were given a boost heading into the clash at the SCG after representative back-rower Chris McQueen re-signed until the end of 2016. McQueen, 27, had sought a contract upgrade after signing his last one before he made his Queensland debut last year.

The Cowboys were interested in luring McQueen away from Sydney. His signing is an important one with Sam Burgess and Ben Te’o leaving the club at the end of this year.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Jewish schools on alert after anti-semitic bus attack in Sydney

16/08/2019 // by admin

Jewish schools are on high alert after a bus load of Jewish children was bombarded by five teenagers screaming “Heil Hitler” and “kill the Jews” in Sydney on Wednesday.
Nanjing Night Net

Five teenagers have been arrested after they boarded the school bus and terrorised students as young as five while the vehicle travelled between Randwick and Bondi Junction, police said.

Mount Scopus Memorial College principal Rabbi James Kennard asked all school bus drivers to review their security requirements and procedures in the event of an emergency..

Principals of The King David School (KDS) and Leibler Yavneh College have told parents in letters and emails they were consulting with authorities and taking precautions to protect students and staff.

In his letter to parents, Yavneh College principal Roy Steinman wrote that he had concerns there would be a negative response from “some sectors” of society to reports that two former students had been wounded while fighting for the Israeli Defence Force (IDF) in Gaza.

The incident in Sydney is perceived by local Jewish groups as the latest in a string of anti-Semitic behaviour sparked by the outbreak of fighting in Gaza.

Three weeks ago, a former IDF soldier wearing a t-shirt with Hebrew writing on it was bashed in Elsternwick in what Victoria Police say was a racially motivated attack. Zachary Gomo, 28, was targeted by two young men who he said shouted “Jewish dog” and “Gaza” in Arabic as they started punching him.

“What really did disturb me was the reaction of some who basically suggest that I was the aggressor because of the T-shirt I was wearing, because it had Hebrew writing on it,” he said.

“It’s come to a point where a Jewish person can be attacked on the street and be held accountable for the attack. I’m not certain that same discourse would exist for other ethnic, religious and cultural groups.”

On the weekend, a visiting Israeli rabbi was also accosted in a shopping centre in Perth. He and his assistant were verbally assaulted, threatened and spat on by up to six youths. The incident came less than two weeks after the words “Zionist scum” were scrawled on a Jewish school in that state.

Jewish groups say they are being inundated with hate mail and are concerned about the emergence of Swastikas and other anti-Semitic imagery at pro-Palestinian demonstrations. The Australasian Union of Jewish Students (AUJS) has reported rising “harassment and intimidation” on campus.

President of Jewish peak body the Jewish Community Council of Victoria (JCCV) Nina Bassat cites a “six-fold” rise in anti-Semitic reports in Victoria since early July.

While Victoria Police spokeswoman said she was not aware of a spike in anti-Semitic behaviour, she urged all affected members to contact police.

Previous Arab-Israeli conflicts have heightened tensions in Australia, yet Ms Bassat said the language has become “more virulent” and the scene has grown “uglier” and has started to bear “overtones of 1930s Germany”.

“The constant referencing to Hitler, that he should have finished us off, or we are acting like Nazis … it’s the reference back to the Shoah [Holocaust] that I find hardest to deal with – intellectually and emotionally,” Ms Bassat said.

“The younger children, who have grown up in a free multi-cultural Australia are having difficulty grappling with the fact that there can be so much hate,” she said.

“And for Holocaust survivors – this mocks and degrades what they’ve gone through – it brings what they have already gone through to another level.”

yes i do think sit s ahuge cocnern some of its has overtones of 1930s gernamnay and i dont need to elarateo on where that led

its extrmely disquietitng part for two sectiosn of our comm the older shoahd suriviro and hteir family segmenet and hte yougner hcildren who have grown up ina  free mutli aus and have difficult with grappling with the fact that there can be so much hate and so much initemnet of vioelnc enad ugly langage

it mockis is and degrades what they’ve gone through on top of what they actuall yhabe gone through it brigns it to another level…

reprots made to community bodies…

have been advised… measures will be put in place.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

RMIT to overhaul Swanston Street campus

16/08/2019 // by admin

The proposed revamp. RMIT’s Swanston Street campus/ Photo: Getty Images/Paul Jeffers
Nanjing Night Net

RMIT University will rejuvenate its CBD campus and overhaul a group of ageing buildings to change the face of a large section of Swanston Street.

Balconies and terraces will hang over Swanston Street, transforming the exterior of the buildings that RMIT acting vice-chancellor Gill Palmer described as “grey ghosts”. “They’re very drear,” she said.

The university has engaged five architectural firms, led by Lyons, to refurbish the 1960s and 1970s buildings that stand on the major city thoroughfare.

The university expects the New Academic Street project to be completed in 2017. A new Garden Building will include open vertical garden space to be used throughout the year.

The city campus runs along Swanston Street between La Trobe and Franklin streets.The redevelopment will be concentrated towards Franklin Street.

Inside, the buildings will be better connected with a series of escalators and a student hall that will run across two buildings.

Lyons director Carey Lyon said the redevelopment would “redefine the student experience”. “It will be a radical transformation,” he said. “The whole idea of a lively campus right at the centre of the city is really unique.”

Mr Lyon said the redeveloped buildings would provide direct access through a series of laneways to the “heart of the campus” from Swanston Street. “It will create this strong sense of an open, porous campus, which will be completely different to what it feels like at the moment.”

The university will carry out landscaping works on Bowen Street, which runs through the campus.

The redevelopment will also include almost 20 new retail outlets that will be accessible to the public. “We’d like to think if it’s a great place for students, other people will come in and use it as well.”

Professor Palmer said the university’s library will also be expanded substantially to include more space where students can study alone or work together on group assignments.

“Libraries are changing a lot. They’re not really repositories of books anymore although books are in there,” she said.

[email protected]南京夜网.au

For more education stories visit facebook南京夜网/theageeducation

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Port seizes netball win

16/08/2019 // by admin

AIMING HIGH…A Reserve Central player Jess Seidel shoots for goal while her Blue Wren opponent Paige Ashman.
Nanjing Night Net

The Friday night late game was one for the true supporter due to the importance of the game and the rather brisk weather.

This was the last opportunity for Port to go ahead of CentralRisdon into second spot as they have the bye in the last round.

Port sprung a surprise with a cameo appearance in this vital game with the inclusion of Hollie Joyce. The first quarter began evenly with neither team making a break, but a couple of mistakes were seized upon by Port and each turnover scored from.

Port went into the first quarter with a handy five goal lead. Chloe Clarke lined up in GK with Jas Goodwin playing at WD, Clarke came off a quarter time, with Goodwin going back to her usual GK role and Kelsey Fetherstonhaugh coming into WD.

The second quarter was very even with goalies at both ends shooting accurately, Pine and Lambert for CentralRisdon and Joyce and Mezzino for Port were keeping their opponents busy.

At the half time break CentralRisdon had reduced the margin to four goals and it was set for a big second half. The mid court battle was crucial for both sides and all players were working hard to ensure they supplied their respective goalies with the ball.

Later in the quarter Sam Pine went down with a foot injury and was in some discomfort when she resumed. The quarter was another even affair and the difference was still four goals in Port’s favour.

At three quarter time Sam Pine came off Lisa Brock, went to GD and Ann Russack came into WD. CentralRisdon came out of the blocks quickly and within a few minutes they had reduced the lead to one goal.

The game was very tight and everyone striving to gain the advantage. Kaylah Hayes also went down with a leg injury, when she resumed this seemed to break CentralRisdon’s momentum.

Port seized on a couple of unforced errors and they scored from these and went on to win by eight goals 58 – 50. For Port, Joyce played well, Lauren Lowe was consistent and Mezzino shot well.

For CentralRisdon Tegan Pine again was good, Lambert used her strength and passing ability consistently and Lisa Brock worked hard. CentralRisdon have the opportunity to regain second spot this week.

All they have to do is beat the undefeated Blue Wrens team, a big task but earlier in the year Blue Wrens only beat them by one goal and this will give some hope of an upset.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.